The Different Types of Tacos: Discover the Best One for You
Tacos come to mind whenever you’re craving a functional, delicious, and adaptable meal.
There are so many different types of tacos available that we can confidently say there is a taco for every person on the planet—no wonder tacos have become a staple meal worldwide.
Tacos come in various flavors, textures, and ingredients, ranging from street tacos to breakfast and even veggie tacos.
They never fail to impress at the weekly family get-together, the birthday party taco catering, or the midnight snack. And let’s not forget they also have the magical ability to cheer you up anytime you feel down.
It can be difficult to track them all, so let’s look at some of the most popular types of tacos—and discover the one that’s right for you!
The History Behind the Tacos We Love
Tacos have been around for generations, as evidenced by their history.
The first known iteration of the taco can be traced back to 18th-century Mexico, where it was referred to as “taco de minero” or “miner’s taco.” This taco was made with corn tortillas and filled with small pieces of meat or fish.
Until the 1900s, tacos remained a regional dish and weren’t widely available in the United States.
By the mid-20th century, tacos had become popular in the US and started to gain mainstream acceptance with the growth of Mexican-American culture.
Now, tacos are served in restaurants, taco stands, and food trucks everywhere—and they’re still evolving. They come in all shapes and sizes—from crunchy shells to soft tortillas and everything in between.
The Anatomy of Tacos
We can summarize tacos’ composition in three simple ingredients: tortilla, filling, and topping.
- Tortillas: The tortillas used for tacos include corn, wheat, and flour tortilla.
- Fillings: Taco fillings can range from pork to beef, fish, chicken, seafood, beans, and vegetables.
- Toppings: Popular topping choices include sour cream, lettuce, cheese, salsa verde, guacamole, lime juice, and onion.
You can create endless types of tacos with many kinds of tortillas, fillings, and toppings—all of which can be mixed and matched. And that takes us to the next point: knowing the different taco types you can choose from.
Types of Tacos: A Delicious Universe to Explore
The best thing about tacos is that everyone can enjoy them according to their preferences. Here is a categorization of some of the most popular types of tacos you can find around the world:
1. Meat Tacos
As we explained before, the anatomy of a taco consists of tortillas, fillings, and toppings.
Tacos are usually filled with different types of meat, from pork, beef, and chicken. These types of tacos can be cooked in various ways—grilled, fried, or boiled.
The following is a list of peoples’ favorite meat tacos:
- Taco al pastor: marinated pork and pineapple pieces
- Taco de carnitas: slow-cooked pork
- Taco de asada: grilled steak
- Taco de pollo: grilled chicken
- Taco de birria: slow-cooked goat
- Taco de carnitas: slow-cooked pork
- Taco de barbacoa: slow-cooked beef
- Taco alambre: grilled steak, bacon, and cheese
- Taco de chicharrón: crispy pork
- Taco de chorizo: spicy Mexican sausage
- Taco de suadero: beef brisket
- Taco campechano: beef, chorizo, and bacon
- Taco de cabeza: beef or pork head
- Taco de lengua: beef tongue
2. Vegetarian and Vegan Tacos
Everyone can find something they like in the taco universe. Vegans and vegetarians have found inventive ways to highlight the vegetables’ natural flavors.
It’s easy to make a vegetarian version of tacos by substituting veggies, beans, and other components for the filling.
Here are some types of vegetarian tacos:
- Taco de hongos: grilled mushrooms
- Taco de calabacitas: zucchini, squash, and corn
- Taco de papas: potatoes, garlic, and onions
- Taco de garbanzos: chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, and onions
- Taco de frijoles: black beans and tomatoes
- Taco de maíz: grilled sweetcorn
- Taco de rajas: roasted poblano peppers
- Taco de aguacate:grilled avocado
- Taco de queso: cheese and tomatoes
- Taco de calabaza: roasted pumpkin
- Taco de nopales: grilled cactus leaves
The types of vegetarian tacos are endless, making this dish something everyone can enjoy.
3. Seafood Tacos
Due to the abundance of seafood options in Mexico, seafood tacos have become a popular twist on the classic taco. Some potential ingredients for fish tacos include:
- Taco de pescado: grilled fish
- Taco de camarones: grilled shrimp
- Taco de atún: tuna and mayo
- Taco de pulpo: octopus and onion
- Taco de jaiba: crab and mayo
- Taco de pescado empanizado: breaded fish
Whatever your tastes, you may find a taco to suit them. So the next time you’re craving some tacos, why not try something new?
Find Your Favorite Tacos in One Place
Now that you’ve learned about the various sorts of tacos, it’s time for the fun part: eating them!
All of your selections are available here at The Taco Guy—the best at catering tacos in California!
We have everything from traditional tacos to vegetarian and seafood choices. Additionally, we take great care to supply fresh ingredients cooked to perfection.
For taco enthusiasts, The Taco Guy catering can be the ideal addition to any event, whether a small gathering, a corporate event or a large party.
So, if you’re looking for the ideal Mexican caterer, The Taco Guy is the way to go! We will ensure that you and your guests have a memorable taco experience.